Today’s Delish Dish comes to us from Breezy Mama Anna. The following recipe is her Go-To meal when having company over. The side dish of orzo is Anna’s own adaption of a Rachael Ray recipe; Anna says, “When I first saw a version of this recipe by Rachael Ray, I was skeptical because I had never been a fan of fennel. This side dish was amazing. I never knew that fennel could be so good!” Try it and let us know what you think. Happy cooking!
Serves 2 -3 people.
- 1 ½ – 2 lb Tri Tip (2 lbs served 3 people)
- Olive oil
- Santa Maria Style Seasoning (Seriously mouth watering–available at scottsfoodproducts.com. Or you can use any pre-blended meat seasoning you may have on hand.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and dry the meat. Rub with olive oil. Generously season or rub the meat all over and let it stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Place meat in oven, fat side up, on a rack with a roasting pan for 45 minutes.
- About ½ way through, brush a little more olive oil on top so that the meat doesn’t dry out. Cooks medium-rare.
- ½ lb of orzo
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Cook the orzo (al dente) according to package directions.
- While the orzo is cooking, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, fennel, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and grape tomatoes, bring up to a bubble and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked orzo, basil, parsley, and grated Parmigiano cheese and stir to combine.
- Add salt to taste.
Warning: Don’t get too full–it’s only your side dish!
Want Breezy Mama to arrive in your e-mail in-box? It’s free! Click here.
*Photo taken from The Breakaway Cook.