I love myself some pesto, but I hate the feeling in my stomach after I eat it. Laden with oil, it makes me feel like I just devoured a extra large tub of movie theater popcorn. But pesto is so easy to make, and so versatile, that I found myself on a quest for a healthy version. And I found one! Replacing the oil (most recipes call for at least a half a cup) with water, then adding a whole zucchini (thank you Vitamix for making it easy!), pesto gets a whole new, light, twist!
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (Get a block of cheese and grate it yourself. SO much better than the stuff in the green can. And, when you finish the block of cheese, you can save the rind and drop it into a soup for added flavor).
- 1 small zucchini
- 4 garlic cloves (use less if you’re not a garlic lover)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Put all ingredients, in order listed, into your Vitamix or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve over pasta or chicken or use as a dip with bread or fresh veggies. YUM!