Chemical Free Face Wash

WIN!! Quench is giving away one India Turmeric Facial Care Set–see details on how to enter below!

In my ongoing quest to eradicate the chemicals from beauty regime, I’ve spent the last month trying out facial washes. Usually, when my cleanser runs out, I find myself quizzing friends about what they use, and then staring at the products on the pharmacy shelf only to grab the same Oil of Olay that I always do. The last time I did this, I vowed to myself, “no longer!” I put the call out for SLS-free washes, and many answered back. The following five turned out to be my favorite–all of which are chemical free.

emerginC Scientific Organics Kombucha Cleanser

This wash packs a punch–wash it on and you’ll be washing off your makeup, dirt and environmental pollutants. The Scientific Organics line promises a minimum of 70% organic ingredients in every item, so you can feel safe using it. emerginC also plants a tree for every scientific organic product sold, so by using the Kombucha Cleanser, you will be doing yourself AND the planet some good. Active Ingredients: Kombucha, grape stem cells, algae extract, glycerin, brightening complex with xylose and galactose from palmaria palmata, spirulina, green tea, white tea, aloe vera, maritime pine bark extract. emerginC Scientific Organics Kombucha Cleanser, $34.00. Click here to order.

Pure+simple Sensitive Cleansing Milk

I loved the consistency of this product–as the name describes, like milk, but I still felt like my face was getting a good wash. Very gentle, but cleans makeup away, leaving my skin soft. The product’s site also outlines various cleansing routines dependent on the type of skin you have, which makes life easy. From the site: “Contains soothing oat protein to reduce inflammation + calm down the most sensitive skin while organic jojoba oil nourishes + protects skin’s natural oils.” Pure+simple Sensitive Cleansing Milk, $12.95. Click here to order.

Ottilie & Lulu Clean Skin Face Wipes

Ottilie & Lulu is an entire body care line aimed at 7 – 14 year old girls. I’ve tested several of their products, and they work great on me too! If you have a tween in the house, these wipes are great because 1) In my book, it’s never to early to start washing your face and 2) These wipes make it super simple for even the most active girl to grab, swipe and be clean. I’ve been using them for travel–great for the airlines’ 3 ounce rule! From the site: “Clean Skin Face wipes are specially formulated for tween skin (no salicylic acid) and are the ideal way to help her keep her beautiful, clear skin. The very light scent of rosewater will leave her feeling refreshed.” Ottilie & Lulu Clean Skin Face Wipes, $10.00 for 30 wipes. Click here to order.

Moor Spa Cleansing Gel

So after I tested a not-so-hot facial wash and broke out all over (do you feel the love Breezy readers?), I used this cleansing gel. After only a couple uses, my face was back to normal. After washing, my skin never feels dried out, and a nice floral smell lingers. The directions say to put a few drops on a cotton ball and wash, but I put it on my hands–a little goes a loooong way. Active ingredients: Aqua, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Coco Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, C12-C15 Alkyl Lactate, Heilmoor Clay, Glycerin, Juniperus Virginiana (Cedarwood) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (TeaTree) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang) Oil, Cymbopogon Citratus (Lemongrass) Oil, Silver Citrate, Citric Acid. Moor Spa Cleansing Gel, $27.00. Click here to order.

Quench Turmeric Facial Wash

Turmeric for your face? I would’ve never put the two together, but then again, I’m not the founder of a company who bases all of their product formulations on age old beauty treatments from different cultures. The smell of this wash is fresh and clean, which is exactly how it leaves your face. Even better? Quench donates 2% of sales to charity. From the site, “All Quench products are paraben-free, sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate-free, and petroleum-free. Quench consistently employs small companies and co-ops, often from native communities, and seeks to foster fair trade and empower the women who make these products in the time-honored tradition of the native culture that has used it for generations.” Quench Turmeric Facial Wash. Available June 15, 2011. Click here to order.

Want to stay informed? Subscribe to Breezy Mama (it’s free!) PLUS, subscribing automatically enters you to win a double stroller BOB Revolution SE Duallie ($629 value)! Hurry and enter your email here:

WIN!! Quench is giving away one India Turmeric Facial Care Set which includes a 3.4 oz Turmeric Facial Wash and a  2.0 oz Turmeric Facial Lotion–a retail value of $68.00! To enter, tell us in the comment section below what your favorite facial cleanser is. One reader’s comment will be picked at random.

Let's Get Social!

Comments

1. Stephanie says

I love Philosophy Purity but I just found out that it has retinyl in it. So, I am searching for a new favorite. I just tried Burt’s Bees Orange Peel facial cleanser and I liked it. We’ll see how I feel in a week or so.

2. I’ve actually been just now using Bare Escentuals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer: Combination Skin, its works pretty good, definitely keeps my face feeling fresh and moisturized!

3. Michelle says

I like the Oil of Olay facial cleanser and also the St Ives Apricot Scrub – great for exfoliating! I can’t wait to try these others and love the one made just for tweens! Thank you!

4. Lindzi Bell says

I keep going back to the same old gentle Cetaphil But would love to try something new.

5. Right now I’m using Sonya Dakar Mud Lavender, but will definitely be trying some of these products! You know how I love product 🙂

6. I use Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser because it’s a make-up remover and cleanser in one. I can even use it on my eyes and thats why I like it. However, I need something that exfoliates.

7. I never thought about the ingredients in my cleanser, since I thought I wash everything off anyway. But this article made me think it’s time for a change. Especially now that I’m pregnant and want to be extra careful about what I put on my face!

8. I think the simpler, the better- Cetaphil wash is great!

9. Jennifer says

I absolutely love the Decleor Cleansing Milk for Dry Skin. It’s super expensive (in my book) but it’s one of my two beauty indulgences (the second being expensive moisturizer). It can be used w/water or w/out which makes it convenient…but I’m sure it’s bad for me. Seems like the beauty products I find that are more mainstream are worse for me!

10. For tweens, I like Good For You Girls. Natural and a great starter kit to get girls into the habit of taking care of their skin. Love that.

11. jeanette says

I use and like very much Olay Regenerist (can you tell how old I am?) “daily regenerist cleanser”. But I recently heard from an oceanographer that we need to check labels closely on scrubbing cleansers because to save money companies now are using tiny plastic balls instead of the natural substances they used before. Oceanographer because she is studying these tiny particles that, almost invisible, are choking our oceans. So I have to research the “oxidized polyethylene” on the Olay!

12. I am curious! When u say it removes makeup, what does that include? foundation/tinted moisturizer and mascara/eye make up.. I currently use cetaphil and wipe it off with a wash cloth and it’s great, but looking for a change. Thanks Alex

13. I’ve always found Purpose bar soap (not the liquid version) works best for me…keeps my face and body clear of blemishes and my skin is still soft and hydrated.

14. Kareen–Yes, it removes it all.

15. Jacqueline says

Currently I am using the Obaji system to try to help with my brown spots that haven’t gone away since baby #2. I like it, but it’s a lot of work (several steps) and it’s expensive!!! Before that I used Neutrogena bar soap–i heard Jennifer Aniston used it and loved it…Ha…I know…ya right! I am sure she uses something that is a little “fancier”!

16. i’ve been using burts bee facial cleanser and cetaphil for a while now. when i’m on the shower i just grab my kids’ california baby sensitive body/face wash. would love to try something diferent!

17. I’ve been using Oil of Olay facial cleanser, but would like to try something different. And like Rosalva above, I’ve been known to use the California Baby body/face wash. 🙂

18. I am using an ayurvedic facial wash that I had got from India. I love but unfortunately it can only be purchased in India!

19. Hi Emily, this is Shashi from Quench Bath & Body. I saw your post here about your ayurvedic facial wash that you got from India. I know what you mean about not being able to get more since it is from India! That’s exactly why we created this line of products. We found so many effective treatments being used in India that were unique to that country and we wanted to bring those “secrets” to our customers here. I would urge you to check out our Turmeric Facial Wash and Moisturizer and see what you think. It is specially formulated to allow the active ingredients such as turmeric to work effectively. Tumeric, as you probably already know, has been used in Ayerveda for everything from acne to settling the stomach. It was the obvious choice as the feature ingredient in this product. Best of luck to you!