Tomorrow (March 20) marks the first day of Spring. Ahhhhh, warm weather, outdoor living, and a plethora of icy drinks are all coming our way. One of my favorites is Breezy Mama Alison’s Sangria. Cool and refreshing, it is the finishing touch for any late afternoon barbecue. Just remember not to overindulge–the drink is so delicious that it’s easy to do! –Alex
From Alison: Here’s my no-fail recipe. . . I use 7 Deadly Zins for the wine (you can buy it at Costco for around $10) but any kind of red wine is fine!
- 1 Bottle (standard size) of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
- 1 Lemon cut into wedges
- 1 Orange cut into wedges
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Splash of orange juice
- 2 Shots of gin
- 1 Cup of sliced strawberries or raspberries (may use thawed or frozen)
- 1 Small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
- 4 Cups ginger ale
- Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple then add sugar, orange juice and gin.
- Chill overnight.
- Add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving.
If you’d like to serve right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice. However, remember that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the fridge, allowing the flavors to really marinate into each other.
*Photo taken from Tapas Oswaldo.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BREEZY MAMA!
It’s our anniversary week! To thank all of our subscribers for being a part of Breezy Mama, we gave each one our Delish Dish Recipe E-book! This gift is over 25 easy to follow, busy mom-friendly recipes from the past year in one easy to use book! Not a Breezy Mama subscriber? We are offering it to anyone who subscribes within the next month! Enter your email here: