Perhaps you have a son who was born loving to read. Then, well, stop reading here. For me, I was struggling with getting my boy to enjoy the feeling of diving into a great book. Though he has always loved to hear a story read to him, it’s now that he’s 7 that I was finding it hard to get him just as excited about reading on his own as my daughter naturally is. Hence, Breezy Mama turned to… well… Breezy Mama! After asking Alex which books for boys she recommends based on what her son has been loving, I also learned some great tips along the way.
1. Get books that are written about subjects your son is interested in. Seems like a no-brainer, but the second I got suggestions from Alex as to what her son was reading, the flood gates seemed to open and my son suddenly can’t put books down! See some great book options for boys below!
2. Make sure the book is at their reading level. If you get carried away with a topic they are interested in by simply getting any book that covers it, you may turn them off from reading by selecting a book that is too difficult! First, find out their reading level from their teacher (generally around 2.2 – 3.2 AR at this age). Second, check ARBOOKFIND.com, enter the book title and gauge whether it’s your son’s level.
3. Set goals. Maybe they are more into video games or movies. Find a book about their favorites, have him read it and then buy the game for him after or go see the movie together. Knowing he will work toward what HE wants to do will accidentally have him fall in love with reading along the way.
4. Never use reading as punishment. Keep it fun and never a scenario such as “if you don’t clean your room, you will have to read…” It should always be you GET to read!
5. Discuss the book! Knowing someone will want to know what happened next not only gets them excited to tell the story again, but helps with reading comprehension, too.
Top Books For Boys in Elementary School:
Do you have any suggestions on how to get boys to love to read? Tell us in the comments below!
Watch this short clip from Fox 5 San Diego with Breezy Mama discussing ways to get your son excited about reading, why your baby is fussy at 6pm and when to RSVP “no” to birthday parties:
Psst… If the above link doesn’t work, click here!