Somehow I was a late bloomer when it came to watching The Mindy Project last year. Truth be told, I really only gave it a shot because my husband and I were completely out of shows that we could agree on and, since we had listened to her book (Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)) on CD on one of our 6 hour family trip drives, I knew we were both fans of hers. Immediately, it became my new favorite show! I got caught up on the new ones, repeats… another obsession was born! Don’t get me wrong — it’s far from perfect and you get the sense they are still ironing out the kinks in Season 1, but I am bursting at the seams with excitement for Season 2 to start on September 17. Knowing this, you can only imagine my reaction to receiving an invite to meet the cast and tour the set! Logistically with work and the five kids it wasn’t going to be easy but my husband, knowing it’s my current obsession, said: YOU HAVE TO GO! Read on for photos of my set tour and my 5 reasons why you NEED to watch the new season! PLUS! What Mindy Kaling’s parents did to raise her to be confident!
5 Reasons to Watch The Mindy Kaling Project:
1. Mindy’s dating life is hilarious!
For example, the time she still gave a date a chance AFTER she found out he was a gigolo? Belly aching laughter ensues! Or, by the end of the season when she had a boyfriend and they took a shower together, he bent down to pick up soap and she said, “I can see inside your butt!” Hilarious! Of her, um, romantic life, titular star Mindy Kaling (you likely loved her as Kelly on The Office… back when it was funny…) said, “I’m missing Mindy’s behavior. Mindy has dated more guys last season than I’ve met in my life!”
2. James Franco will be guest starring! HELLO! Not to mention so many fun guest stars are going to come back! “I was looking at one of our call sheets, it’s Anders (Holm) and (Bill) Hader and (James) Franco and Chloe (Sevigny) are all back in that one episode– those guys are all obviously coming back,” Mindy shared. “What I thought was kind of fun and which got way more press than virtually anyone else was when Kris Humphries (a.k.a. Kim Kardashian’s husband for 72 days) was playing himself in like one or two scenes.”
3. The fun fashion! “I send suggestions to [costume designer] Sal Perez,” she noted as we toured her on-set closet. Wardrobe is practically a character and it’s hilarious at times to see what she will wear. OH! And that pixie cut that’s part of the storyline in season two is a wig! “I love having the short hair,” she said. “I think it’s so fun, but my writing staff largely hates it. I was told by one of the writers, Jeremy Bronson, that if I cut my hair off the show would tank. He hates it. But I think it’s really fun, and chopping your hair off is something every woman fantasizes about doing, and so my actual hair though is actually like down to here (indicating), so I get to have it both ways.”
4. Body issues are not the focus! NO, Mindy is not the standard Hollywood size 0- and that’s refreshing! Weight isn’t a factor and doesn’t affect her character’s life what-so-ever! In fact, on the topic of body humor, she said, “I’m one of the lucky people that has a great job that I’m somewhat in charge of, and so that gives me a lot of confidence coupled with my weird inner confidence that I’ve had for many years based on nothing, and that just makes it so that I don’t really mind.” LOVE!
To top it off, she added, “Also, my parents just f***ing rocked, and they thought that I could do anything and — until two days before my mom passed away she was like, ‘Don’t get married if the man is going to tell you not to do things. Just do whatever you want to do,’ so I was really lucky because I don’t know how many people really have parents like that.”
5. OB office visit humor! Yes, her character is an obstetrician-gynecologist and when do we ever get to joke about how awkward visiting that particular doctor can be?! “There’s so much comedy in that world,” she laughed. “Tracey Wigfield who started in the show last year and Lang Fisher started this year are both on the writing staff, and we have just lots of funny anecdotes from our own OB-GYNs. Bela Bajaria was the one that pitched this great idea of getting a call from one of your patients who was just on spring break who thinks they are pregnant and calls you in the middle of the night like freaking out about that kind of thing. There’s so many inappropriate and funny and relatable issues that come up with patients which puts Mindy in really funny positions and we have those stories.”