Kids love jokes–no matter what the age is. My four-year-old is currently obsessed, though he has no idea of what the actual “joke” is. For example, I read to him off of his Marvel Popsicle stick: Who opened the farm gate? The Turkey. Blank stare. “You see son (me explaining), it’s the turkey who opened it because he has the word KEY in his name.” A laugh because he knows he’s supposed to. But what DO they get, regardless of age? Physical humor. So this year, why don’t you cook them up something that’s actually NOT what it looks like? I’ve been racking my brain on what THAT could be, and came up with these–Meatloaf Cupcakes. Have fun and enjoy the laughs. –Alex
For the meatloaf “cake” (FYI-I’m taking the meat portion of this recipe from my Stuffed Bell Peppers):
- One pound ground beef (you can substitute the beef for ground turkey)
- One onion, diced
- One egg
- One cup of breadcrumbs (seasoned or unseasoned–I usually use what I have on hand. In a pinch, crumbled up crackers works as well).
- Two tablespoons of parsley
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- A couple shakes of Worcestershire
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl. Use your hands to really get in there and mix it up well.
- Grease a cupcake pan.
- Place meat mixture in the individual holes of the cupcake pan.
- Bake for15 minutes, then check, and possibly bake for 5 minutes more.
For the “cupcake frosting” (which will be dyed mashed potatoes):
- 3 baking potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon of salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon of pepper
- Food coloring (any color you choose)
- OPTIONAL–To get some veggies in, you can add 3/4 cup of pureed cauliflower (just steam the cauliflower and blend in food processor with a bit of the cooking water until smooth.)
- Peel, quarter, and boil potatoes in salted water until you can easily pierce with a fork. (Check after 15 minutes)
- With a potato masher, mash potatoes until lumpy. Add all other ingredients (except food coloring), and mash until smooth.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and mix together. Add more drops until you reach desired color.
To Assemble Cupcakes:
- Take out meat mixture from cupcake pan and put on plate. “Frost” the top with mashed potatoes. Serve!
After cooking, please comment back and let me know what the kiddos think!
We are so excited–we just celebrated our one year anniversary on March 16! To thank all of our subscribers for being a part of Breezy Mama, each was emailed a Delish Dish Recipe E-book! This is over 25 easy to follow, busy mom-friendly recipes from the past year in one easy to use book! Print it out or refer back to it on your computer — it’s up to you! Not a Breezy Mama subscriber? We are offering it to anyone who subscribes within the next month! Enter your email here: